Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Messy!

In my never-ending quest for a neat house, I threw myself into cleaning the garage yesterday. My method of cleaning is this - I put everything where I want it then I end up with this weird pile o' crap that I'm never quite sure what to do with. My solution has been to throw it in a box and toss it in the garage for the moment.

Now, years later, my garage is a mess. Surprise - bet you didn't see that coming.

Amvets is coming next Tuesday so I'm in a mad scramble to empty the garage and make a huge donation to charity. Literally, I have an entire kitchen stored out there somewhere and I'm sure someone can use it.

So in my frenzy I came across a box of stuff from past boyfriends and other people that I consider(ed) important in my life. I went through the box and spent my time shaking my head and trying to remember if I'd had a head injury when I dumped all that stuff in there. Why did I keep all of it?

My immediate answer is that it hurt too much to look at it so I threw it into a box to deal with when I wasn't so pissed off. The funny thing was I dumped him for screwing around on me which begs the question a second time - why did I keep this stuff again?

I sifted through the box and either tossed it or put it in the charity box. I did fish out a beautiful set of gold pens he'd given me - hey, I'm not stupid! Quality pens cost mucho dollars, but that was it. My garage would be much cleaner if I'd done that with everything else instead of letting it pile up.

Do you keep the remnants of past relationships hanging around in your house??

5 comments:

Monica Burns said...

I sold my engagement ring the minute I retreated all the way from MN back to VA in a drive that took almost 24 hours and for the first time in years I sat in my Dad's lap and sobbed long and hard. Hanging onto the past doesn't do anyone any good. The less links the faster the healing IMHO

Savannah Chase said...

I have kept some stuff but the rest went out the door.

J.C. Wilder said...

Monica - LOL! I still have an engagement ring somewhere...probably lost in the boxes.

J.C. Wilder said...

Savannah - that makes you a very smart woman. :)

Monica Burns said...

I still have an engagement ring somewhere.

OMG!! That thing is worth a few hundred at LEAST! Put if up on eBay and get some $$ for your pain and suffering!