Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Babs


Over the course of your lifetime you'll meet many people who have a story to tell. If you're lucky, a handful of those stories have the potential to change the course of your life.

Meet my friend Babs - one of those amazing spirits who tranformed hundreds of lives simply because she was breathing. We worked together for several years and during that time we laughed, we cried and had long talks about every topic under the sun. Even though she had MS, she never let her daily struggle diminish her cheerful nature and everyone she met adored her.

I received an email today letting me know that this darling creature passed away on October 2.

You will be sorely missed and I'm a better person for just having known you.

This one is for you, Babs:

Some of the many reasons why I adored Babs.
12. With her illness she had issues with her speech (she constantly struggled to find the right words) and when she used the wrong ones she'd laugh, laugh, laugh.
11. Was addicted to anything sweet and was always willing to share.
10. Her infectious laugh.
9. Hysterically funny without being mean or snarky.
8. Loved to talk about anything to anyone.
7. Always saw the good in people.
6. Loved the color purple and wore it often.
5. Sang jazz standards (off-key of course) all day while we worked.
4. Adored anything related to Hollywood be it movies, gossip or Mel Gibson.
3. Major Foodie.
2. Was generous with her time no matter what the situation was.
1. Always reminded me that if you're not having fun then you're doing it wrong.

And something from one of her favorite authors:

IF I HAD MY LIFE TO LIVE OVER by Erma Bombeck

I would have talked less and listened more.

I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained and the sofa faded.

I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good' living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.

I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.

I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.

I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage.

I would have sat on the lawn with my children and not worried about grass stains.

I would have cried and laughed less while watching television - and more while watching life.

I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.

I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.

I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.

Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.

When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, "Later. Now go get washed up for dinner."

There would have been more "I love yous".. more "I'm sorrys"... but mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute...look at it and really see it... live it...and never give it back.

1 comment:

TJ Michaels said...

Hey, J.C., I'm so sorry for the loss of your good friends, but I'm so happy that you had the chance to know her.

As for Erma Bombeck, she was a standard in my household when my kids were little. The woman kept me sane!